Food and Wine Magazine has just named the best new chefsin the USA for 2013, which was the 25th edition of the award.In the Food and Wine Website they also have some great media on past Best New chef winners in their 25th anniversary website including past BNC winners recipes. Past winner include such icons as Thomas Keller, David Chang, Michael Symon, Barbara Lynch, Wylie Dufresne, Rick Bayless, Tom Colicchio Grant Achatz oScott Conant and April Bloomfield to name a few. The winners this year were:
- Danny Bowien Mission Chinese Food, New York, NY
- Justin Cogley Aubergine, Carmel, CA
- José Enrique Jose Enriqué, San Juan, PR
- Matthew Gaudet West Bridge, Boston, MA
- Jamie Malone Sea Change, Minneapolis, MN
- Chris Shepherd Underbelly, Houston, TX
- Alex Stupak Empellón Cocina, New York, NY
- Andy Ticer & Michael Hudman Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen, Memphis, TN
- Jason Vincent Nightwood, Chicago, IL
- Michael Voltaggio Ink, Los Angeles, CA
I actually went to Empellon Cocina last weekend for brunch before the announcement, and was a total fan! Here is some of the foodporn that I had (their words, not mine) .
Highlights were the Guacamole with Uni and guacamole with Pistachos. All the tacos were excellent as well, especially enjoyed the sea Scallop (pictured) taco, and a crispy kale special taco of the day (not pictured). What I actually loved about the brunch: The chilaquiles and the cochinita pibil hash, they were so good we devoured them and didn’t even take a picture! Great approach on Mexican Brunch. I now need to go for dinner to see the difference. I was very glad for an inventive Mexican in NYC, not your typical Tex Mex approach. Also they were accommodating of my gluten allergy, they made all the tacos for the table with corn instead of wheat tortillas, and were very knowleageable of what I could and couldnt eat on the menu.
Also how cute is the menu instagram sign?