Official Description: The beloved story is brought to thrilling theatrical life in this bold new musical. With just one rub of a magic lamp, Aladdin’s journey sweeps you into an exotic world full of daring adventure, classic comedy and timeless romance. It’s an unforgettable experience that includes all the cherished songs from the Academy Award®-winning score and more written especially for Broadway.
This brand-new stage production is directed and choreographed by Tony Award® winner Casey Nicholaw, and composed by Tony Award® winner Alan Menken. It features lyrics penned by the legendary Howard Ashman and Tony Award® winner Tim Rice, with book and additional lyrics by Chad Beguelin.
My take: I have loved all the Disney musicals, so there was little chance that I was going to not have a great time at Aladdin. A great time IS had in this show! its definitely a wonerful family show, and one that vary many types of people will find enjoyable. Is it my favorite Disney show? No, but that has to do with the fact that Aladdin is not my favorite movie, so i think the source material is not the best. It didn’t have to do with this production itself, which reimagined the original into a great stage show.
Some of my favorite things:
- The genie: He just takes over the show. His lines are hilarious and he is the star of the show. His A Friend like Me was the best part of the show, by far!
- The costumes: It was a great mix of sparkle and color, and they did set the tone and vibrancy of the show
- The Magic Carpet ride: Is it an overkill to say its magical? well it is and it is very well executed. I have no idea how its done , there is not a cable in sight!
- Jonathan Freeman: His voice is eerie – it is so cool to have that direct recognition and link to the movie!
What I didn’t love?
- Jasmine. I found her irritating, so did my sister. A whole New World suffered due to it, as I just could not deal with her voice
- The Choreography: I feel it could have been so much better. It was musical theater generic and it could have been more ethnic and interesting.
Heres a great video from the disney website that really gets you excited for the show.
And my program: