I love when theater and technology come together to show something awesome. Yesterday, Disney Theatricals came out with a 360 degree view of the Circle of Life which is spectacular. Its a great Virtual Reality view of the circle of Life, filmed in 5 different angles and definitely gives you an unforgettable and unique experience. Here it is:
To get a better viewing of it, here are the instructions:
- To view on a desktop, visit YouTube.com/DisneyonBroadway or Facebook.com/TheLionKing in the latest Chrome browser and use your mouse to click and drag to navigate your view.
- To view on mobile or tablet, open the latest YouTube or Facebook app and visit the Disney On Broadway YouTube Channel or The Lion King Facebook Page. Move your device to navigate your view.
- To view on a headset: Watch on the Samsung Gear VR with MilkVR. Watch on Google Cardboard with the YouTube app (Android only) or the Littlstar app (available on the App Store and Play Store).
Here is a clip of it being made:
Some coverage of this:
- The Lion King Musical In Vr Is An Incredible Experience
- Watch ‘The Lion King’s’ 360-Degree Music Video for “Circle of Life”
- Broadway’s ‘The Lion King’ to Roar in Virtual Reality
- Experience “The Circle of Life” With a 360° Immersive Video From Broadway’s The Lion King
- Experience the ‘Circle of Life’ with Disney’s virtual reality technology
It also created a little war of Words between Thomas Schumacher, head of Disnet Theatricals, and Andrew Lloyd Webber. Playbill has all the details, but granted to say, im always interested in a little Broadway Battle.
ALW statement: Just as there is no debate about who were the first anthropomorphized felines on Broadway, there should be no debate about which show was the first to use 360 degree technology. Big cats shouldn’t be copycats!”
TS reply: Thank you for your note. In response to your claim that “This isn’t Cricket!,” although I’m not familiar with all 12,000 rules of Cricket, I am incredibly proud of our Lion King VR video and stand by our description of it…School Of Rock staged your number for the camera, in a classroom and captured a delightful commercial. We congratulate you on well over a million hits but these are two videos are fundamentally divergent. Thanks for keeping up with The Lion King and best of luck with SOR. I hear great things. “Yours in 3rd position after Phantom of the Opera Tom Schumacher
some coverage of the fight: