In Honor of FLICK CHICKS, the Hilarious Article by Mindy Kaling about Women in Romantic comedies and her love for them (a total must read if you like me are a fan!), I decided to do the ultimate movie list: My favorite Romantic Comedies (or as some would call them Chick -flicks) (this took some thought, but in the end it was quite easy – the fact that I have DVD that have been watched multiple times were dead giveaways). What are yours? I am not including Old School romantic wonders like Casablanca and Gone with the Wind as they have a whole different genre to themselves! (and really are they Comedies? not really!) I am also not including tragic dramas like Terms of Endearment and Steel Magnolias in the mix – those are classic tear-jerker Drama Romances (i.e. movies that make you finish an entire box of kleenex and have terrible endings!) We can do those lists later!! they might be chick flicks but they are not Rom-coms
When Harry Met Sally
- Why I love it: Meg Ryan at her best and a Rom Com classic! I also love how it is a story across the years, which feels actually much more real than most movies. I also think its still relavant – my friends and I have had the discussion that the movie is based on: Can men and women be friends? I say yes, some say no
- Favorite Scene/line or moment: a tie between the cafeteria scene and New Years!
- Why I love it: How can I not love a romantic comedy about Xmas with music and that has Hugh Grant, Keira Knightley & Colin Firth in it! I love the intermix of stories (which Valentines Day & New Years Eve tried to replicate with little success). The soundtrack is amazing!
- Favorite Scene/line or moment: There are so many, but my 4 favorite scenes are: Hugh Grant dancing Jump! and the 3 scenes below: All you need is Love, The Card love declaration and the song All I want for Xmas is you.
- Why I love it: Julia Roberts at her best! and Richard Gere to boost! A classic
- Favorite Scene/line or moment: I love her shopping scene, especially when she goes back with all her purchases! Runner up: The opera scene!
- Why I love it: A website said that Dirty Dancing its Nearly every girl’s favorite movie, and it clearly is mine. It has a little bit of everything I like, good story, great music, dancing and a beautiful love story. (Patrick Swayze great added bonus!) I am also obsessed with the soundtrack
- Favorite Scene/line or moment: Many, but you have to include “Don’t put baby in the corner” and ” I carried a Watermelon”. As for favorite scenes, they have lifts involved: the final lift and the water lift 🙂
10 Things I Hate about You
- Why I love it: This movie is one of the things I remember the most about highschool. I think I watched it with my friends over 20 times. Also how can you not love the movie that introduced Heath Ledger!
- Favorite Scene/line or moment: Heath Ledger singing Cant take my eyes off of you. see it here:
- Why I love it: It has romance + sports + cute little kid + tom cruise when he wasn’t weird!
- Favorite Scene/line or moment: You Complete Me & You Had me at Hello.. (do not watch below if you havent watched it!, but this is the scene below)
THE OTHER GREATS!
Before Sunrise/Before Sunset – Two movies that Im putting together as one as they are the continuation of the other (and for those of you who have never watched it, how lucky you are that you don’t have to wait 10 years between them like I had to!). it is an intellectual rom com – and I love the premise!
Sleepless in Seattle – I believe Meg Ryan’s movies are the classics of RomComs. I love so many things about it: THe fact that you can meet at the top of the Eiffel tower, Tom Hanks adorable son, The references to an Affair to Remember, Meg Ryan’s and Tom Hanks chemistry! It’s a must watch!!
The Notebook – This movie, for me is the best adaptation of a Nicholas Sparks novel. Great actors, a beautiful story and definitely you go through a box of Kleenex watching it!
Pretty in Pink – So since it would be redundant to put all of Molly Ringwald’s movies on the list, but she has to be here as she is the Meg Ryan of the 80s Teen comedies. So why choose Pretty in Pink over Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast club ? Well because duckie is wonderful, I used to love Andrew McCarthy, The fashion aspects of it and because I Love Pink!
Clueless – How can you not love the movie that introduced us to Whatever, As If and computer generated outfits and closets! Another high school classic!!!
Cocktail – Another movie whose soundtrack is almost as good as the movie. Tom Cruise at his best, and how can you not enjoy a story in a beautiful paradise, whilst singing Kokomo.
Notting Hill – Beautiful location (I remember living in Nottig Hill and thinking of movie scenes in many places I walked around), great story, and how can you not love the line: “Im just a girl, standing in front of a guy, asking him to love her”
Bride & Prejudice – There is so much to love here! It is based on my favorite book: Pride & Prejudice but with a Bollywood Flair. Aishwarya Rai is great in it!
The Holiday – It has a great cast (Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jack Black and Jude Law), a lovely story and it is about the holidays my favorite time!
Footloose – The classic dance movie! And I am not referring to the new version but Kevin Bacon’s version. Lets Here it for the Boy and Footlose are two of my favorite songs and this movie has been watched by me too many times to keep count
The Cutting Edge – 80s story about an ice skater and a hockey player teaming up to do pairs figure skating. Ive always loved it, and if you like it and love cheesy movies you can also check out the ABC Family sequels: The cutting Edge 2 ,3 & 4
While You Were Sleeping – I had to include a Sandra Bullock movie on the lsit and this is where it all started!
Only You – This one is not that well known but I’ve always liked it! Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr. in great story on a wonderful italian setting!
Bend it Like Beckham – A British Classic. It introduced Kiera Knightley and Jhonatan Rhys Meyers.
Girls just want to have fun- The movie that Introduced Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt. Additionally some amazing retro 80s fashion, great dances and one of the classic songs of the 80s!
Bring it On – another High School classic!
.. . I could totally go on… but im cutting myself off!
However honorable mentions go to: How to Loose a Guy in 10 Days, Music & Lyrics, My Best Friends Wedding, Definitely Maybe, Two Weeks Notice, You’ve got Mail, Coyote Ugly, Sixteen Candles, No reservations, She’s All That, The Prince & Me,
Side Note: Looking at online lists of romantic comedies to get inspired for this list – I realized that i have watched almost 95% or more of all romantic comedies, do not know if this is good or bad.. im going to have to ponder on this….