You might not believe it, but one of the most popular posts ever in my blog is my All About Hallmark Channel X-Mas Movies, where I Classified all the Hallmark Xmas movies – I am a Hallmark Xmas movie addict. So since that post was so popular but it’s almost two years old, I figured I would do an update with the 2016 and 2017 movies I have seen. Instead of ranking them solely on the categories we usually use:
- A must Watch for all
- Watch if you love Christmas Movies
- Predictable & Nice
- Predictable & Naughty
Do not waste your time
I am going to rank them 1 – 41 and give you some thoughts. This is of course the movies that are out until now and the ones that I’ve watched. I will update the blog when new ones come through this year. I will also put the category and for the ones I remember give the score out of 55 based on the signs of a hallmark movie from EW (for the ones I can remember) and a new one – Vulture’s The 10 Essentials of Any Hallmark Christmas Movie
- A Heavenly Christmas This one is more classic christmas general audience story than traditional Hallmark stereotype. With a fabulous cast, a little magic and a lot of heart, it was definitely my favorite of the last couple of years.Category: A must watch for All Score: 18
Official Description: Upon her untimely death, a workaholic finds herself in training to be a Christmas Angel in Heaven. Despite being the worst recruit in the history of Christmas, she’s assigned a hard luck case. As she’s forced to help solve his problems, she’ll start to discover the meaning of Christmas and maybe even fall in love along the way. Stars Kristin Davis, Eric McCormack and Shirley MacLaine.
- Journey Back To Christmas it has Candace Cameron Bure, which is always one of my favorite ones in Hallmark movies. This one has a great mix of supernatural, vintage feel and holiday spirit. It is the type of traditional family Xmas movie, not niche at all and could be enjoyed by all. Category: Watch if you love Christmas movies
Official description: A WWII era nurse is transported in time to 2016 and meets a man who helps her discover the bonds of family and that the true meaning of Christmas is timeless. Stars Candace Cameron Bure, Oliver Hudson and Tom Skerritt.
- The Mistletoe Promise Great Actors and a funny and cute premise. Although cheesy and romantic as most of these, this one is so in a refreshing manner. Category: Predictable and Nice Official Description: A chance meeting between two strangers who share a disdain for Christmas results in The Mistletoe Promise, a pact to help them navigate their holiday complications – together. But as they spend more time with each other and experience the magic of Christmas the phony couple discovers there may be more to their contract than business. Based on the bestselling novel by Richard Paul Evans
- Broadcasting Christmas Not only does it have a great cast, it keeps moving in a great manner, its original and fun for the whole family Category: Watch if you love Christmas movies
Official description: When her on-air partner decides to depart America’s favorite morning show, Veronika Daniels announces that she will be choosing her new co-host from a handful of candidates that includes Charlie Fisher, a local NY newscaster who is the son of a broadcasting legend. However, when Emily Morgan, a human interest reporter for the local Connecticut station, makes an impassioned on-air plea to be considered for the job, the game changes for everyone as video of Emily’s declaration goes viral and the network brass decide to put her in the running. Veronika delights in the healthy competition she sees brewing, and encourages the candidates to bring their A game in the segments and stories they do between now and the Christmas Day Telethon, when she will announce her choice. As the competition narrows, and it becomes clear that either Charlie or Emily are going to get the job, they begin to rediscover a spark between them that started long ago. Starring Dean Cain, Melissa Joan Hart and Jackée Harry.
- Magical Christmas Ornaments: My tree is a plethora of Hallmark Christmas Ornaments, so how was i not going to love a movie about magical ones? Category: Watch if you love Christmas Movies Score: 20
Official Description: Publishing executive Marie finds her Christmas spirit reawakened when her mother begins sending her the family’s Christmas ornaments. As each ornament arrives, it brings a positive change to Marie’s life, including an introduction to the handsome male nurse Nate from next door.
- Switched for Christmas Another Candance Cameron Bure movie, and another that is super cute. It is totally predictable, but they make it work and I was very happy watching it! Category: Predictable and Nice Score: 27
Official Description: When identical twin sisters are stuck planning their respective Christmas parties, they’re convinced the grass is greener on the other side. Deciding to swap lives for the holiday, the lessons they learn along the way may turn out to make this the best Christmas ever.
- Christmas List My second favorite Hallmark Christmas movie staple is Alicia Witt. Her movies are usually less stereotypical and she is quite relatable. In this one I loved the bucket list concept (I think I might need to implement that) Category: Predictable and NiceOfficial description: Isobel plans a storybook Christmas with her boyfriend, including a snow-covered cottage in the Northwest, and a carefully composed bucket list of classic holiday traditions. But when the boyfriend goes AWOL, the list proves challenging and a tempting new romance turns her life upside down.
The movie is based on the novel “The Christmas Bucket List” by Ella Fairlie
- The Mistletoe Inn Another Alicia Witt movie and another good one. Although predictable for sure and very Hallmarky, I really enjoy it. Given that I love romance novels, how can I not love a movie that mixes Christmas with Romance Novels and a winter cottage!Category: Category: Predictable but nice Score: 20
Official Description: When aspiring romance novelist Kim Rossi is unceremoniously dumped by her soon-to-be-published romance novelist boyfriend, Garth, Kim takes stock and decides to take a leap. She signs up for a romance writing retreat at a quaint Vermont Inn shortly before Christmas, where a top romance novelist is scheduled to attend. Shortly after arriving, she crosses paths with Zeke, whom she initially finds to be intrusive and, naturally, ends up being her assignment partner. Worse yet, her ex-boyfriend, Garth, is also at the retreat. Despite these bumps in the road, Kim steps outside her comfort zone and ends up surprising herself. Equally unexpected is the attraction that seems to be building between her and Zeke that promises to take her down a road she never imagined traveling. Based on the bestselling novel by Richard Paul Evans.
- A Song For Christmas Cute and traditional and its never bad when they put lovely music onto a Christmas movie. Category: Predictable and Nice Score: 26
Official Description: Pop superstar Adelaide Kay is so fed up with her controlling manager that she sneaks off the tour bus after their latest squabble. Though exhilarated to be free, she finds herself stranded in the freezing cold of a Virginia winter, with no money and no plan. A local family, the Lapps, take her in. They know the true meaning of the season, even if they’re close to losing their dairy farm. No one in the family recognizes Adelaide except Dillon, the oldest son. He figures she’s the ticket to fast cash and plots to snap photos of Adelaide around the farm and sell them to the tabs. What he doesn’t plan, however, is their mutual attraction. Starring Becca Tobinand Kevin McGarry.
- Every Christmas Has A Story I really liked the cast and although it was a typical getting your Christmas spirit back montage, its done in a really good way. Category: Watch if you love Christmas moviesOfficial Description: When a TV personality has an on-air snafu and admits she hates Christmas, she is invited to the Most Christmas-y town in the US to try and repair her image. Forced to work with her ex-boyfriend Jack, the show’s producer, the magic of Christmas and this special town will change the way she views Christmas and her life
- The Christmas Train Hallmark Hall of Fame movies are always a great event. They usually signify more money in production and great actors. They are also the most general audience ready movies. This one, was a mix for me, at first I didn’t think i was going to like it but it definitely grew on me. Good acting and most of all I loved the twists an turns, never saw it coming! Predictable it was not. Category: Watch if you love Christmas Movies. Score: 10
Official Description: From Hallmark Hall of Fame, a journalist embarks on a cross-country train ride at Christmas having no idea this journey will take him into the rugged terrain of his own heart.
- A December Bride A well done exes meetup in a Christmas setting. Category: Predictable and Nice
Official Description: Aspiring interior designer Layla is dreading the Christmastime wedding of her cousin who’s marrying Layla’s ex-fiancé. Although Seth is the one responsible for introducing the bride and groom, she begrudgingly accepts his offer to be her date as she’s out of options. Seth gets carried away at the reception and announces they’re engaged, forcing a mortified Layla to keep up the pretense.
- A Wish For Christmas My third favorite Hallmark actress Lacey Chabert. Although not her best Christmas movie, it is up there, and they make a really cute couple. Category: Predictable and Nice Official Description: Sara Shaw is the type of woman who prefers to sit on the sidelines at work, but when her big idea for a Christmas initiative is stolen, she makes a wish to Santa that she’ll finally have the courage to stand up for herself. Santa grants her wish, but only gives her 48 hours. As the clock ticks, Sara will discover how to channel the Christmas magic and speak her mind all on her own.
- The Perfect Christmas Present Being a perfect present buyer does not seem like a terrible occupation! This one is also pretty awesomly cast. Category: Predictable and Nice Score: 14
Official Description: Tom is “Mr. Christmas,” the guy who can find the perfect gift for that special someone. But when he agrees to help an old college buddy discover his girlfriend’s Christmas wish, he ends up getting too close, and she ends up falling in love with him.
- I’ll Be Home For Christmas Traditional and for the whole family, its’ sweet and spice and everything nice . Category: Watch if you love Christmas Movies
Official description: Jackie, a dynamic Assistant District Attorney and single mom, is looking forward to wrapping up her latest case and spending Christmas with her adorable and precocious eight-year old daughter. But when Jackie’s estranged dad unexpectedly shows up at her door, they will be forced to confront old wounds.
- Christmas In Homestead Notting Hill reinvented for the Hallmark crowd. A sweet story that has awesome Christmas Spirit. Category: Predictable and Nice
Official description: one of the most famous actresses in the world heads to the Christmas-obsessed town of Homestead, Iowa, to shoot a holiday-themed movie. She is thrown for a loop when a romance brews between her and local inn keeper and single dad, Matt. As she gets a taste of small-town life, she discovers the true meaning of Christmas.
- My Christmas Dream Danica Mckellar is quite a regular and usually she grates me a little, but here the premise of beautiful window displays is great! Category: Predictable and Nice
Official Description: Christina, the manager of McDougal’s flagship department store, is determined to land the manager position for their new Paris location. She sets out to impress Victoria, the store’s owner, by creating the best holiday display in McDougal’s history. Fresh out of inspiration despite assuring Victoria otherwise, Christina turns to a recently-fired store employee who also happens to be a talented artist and single dad to his young son.
- Christmas Cookies How can food and Christmas not be a great idea! Category: Predictable and Nice Official Description:Aunt Sally’s Christmas Cookie Company is sold to a large conglomerate and executive Hannah (Wagner) must seal the deal and shut down the factory, which is the small town of Cookie Jar’s lifeblood. What was supposed to be a simple assignment for Hannah becomes complicated when she meets Jake (Brown), the factory owner who’s determined to keep the factory in town. Despite not being a fan of the holiday, the Christmas spirit in this small town is infectious and she gets swept up in the joy of the season while also falling in love.
- Finding Father Christmas Although it gets a little saccharine in its process its a really sweet story and well made. Bonus points: they have a sequel. Category: Predictable and Nice Score: 19Official description: Christmas for Miranda is a painful reminder of the family she never had. Her mother died when she was young, never revealing the identity of her father. But, three days before Christmas, she unexpectedly receives a clue as to the whereabouts that takes her to a beautiful New England town where she meets Ian, a young man who helps with her search. As the clues lead to her father’s identity and Miranda discovers the possibility of love in Ian, and she learns that her father lived in the small town and now she knows his family (her brother and her biological father’s wife). She faces a terrible decision… Should she share the truth and risk losing the family she has just found, or leave and keep the secret forever? This Christmas promises to be life-changing for Miranda with a new chance at life and love.”
- A Bramble House Christmas Although Predictable its sweet, traditional and captures a small town Christmas with a cute kid perfectly. Category: Predictable and Nice Score: 24
Official Description: While settling his father’s estate, Finn Conrad becomes suspicious as to why the man left a nurse $50,000. His dad knew her for less than two months before he died. Just before Christmas, Finn wants what to reclaim what he considers his family’s money, going undercover to investigate the bed and breakfast the nurse has recently taken over. When Finn meets Willa, he discovers she’s not a conniving gold digger at all, but a woman in need who put the money to good use. When she discovers his true identity, will it keep Willa from ever trusting him again?
- The Sweetest Christmas Again with the food and Christmas – im a sucker. Although this one was a little bit too predictable to be higher up in the ranking. Category: Predictable and Nice Score: 21
Official Description: When struggling pastry chef Kylie Watson (Chabert) learns she’s made it to the finals of the American Gingerbread Competition, she thinks her competitive spirit has finally paid off and hopes the publicity will help her jumpstart her new café. There’s just one problem — the oven she’s supposed to use breaks down right before the contest. Determined to enter, she reaches out to Nick Mazannti (Coco), her old boyfriend from culinary school who gave up his dream of being a pastry chef to take over his family’s pizzeria. Nick allows her to use his industrial pizza oven at night to craft her ambitious gingerbread confections. As the two reminisce about the dreams of their youth, their romance is rekindled. But just as Kylie is on the cusp of taking the grand prize — and embracing true love — things get complicated when her ex-boyfriend takes drastic steps to win her back. Kylie realizes she must embrace the Christmas Spirit or risk losing both the contest and her new love
- Christmas In Evergreen I’m a big city girl, but if you are going to leave everything for a small town I guess this is the way to go. The cast is charming and it has a little Santa Magic to finish it off. Category: Predictable and Nice, Score: 29
Official Description:When a veterinarian sets out to have the perfect Christmas, she assumes it’s going to be with her longtime boyfriend. But when a storm shuts down the airport, she crosses path with a doctor and his daughter. What transpires will give them all a Christmas more magical than they could’ve imagined.
- Operation Christmas Military and Christmas – this one is definitely a tear jerker. Category: Watch if you love Christmas MoviesOfficial description: As her new romance blossoms, a single mother is dismayed when her boyfriend, a military sergeant, is deployed right before Christmas. Determined to not let it ruin the holidays for her and her children they decide to give back to the struggling military families on his base and, as their efforts go viral, they are rewarded in ways they never imagined.
- Miss Christmas Over the top, but the christmas spirit is definitely there and the cast is great! Category: Predictable and Nice score: 22
Official Description: Nicknamed “Miss Christmas,” the official tree finder for Chicago’s renowned Radcliffe Tree lighting is left desperate to find the perfect tree. A letter from a young boy promising his tree is perfect sends her to a small town where she learns the young boy’s dad isn’t willing to part with his tree. While sparks fly, she’ll be forced to confront what she’s really been missing for Christmas.
- Marry me at Christmas Middle of the road in terms of Christmas movies, it’s not great its not bad either – solid entertainment. Category: Predictable and Nice Score:
Official Description:Official description: Organizing a Christmas wedding is a true treat for bridal boutique owner Madeline Krug. She loves the challenge of finding the perfect dress for the bride and orchestrating an exquisite event. What Madeline didn’t expect was to be swept off her feet by the bride’s gorgeous brother, movie star Jonny Blaze. Jonny came to the quirky town of Fool’s Gold to support his sister — not to fall in love. Yet Madeline is the most extraordinary woman he’s ever met. Planning the perfect wedding leads to candlelit dinners and strolls through snow-covered streets. Madeline finds the real Jonny even more captivating than her celebrity crush. Will the action star be brave enough to take on the role of a lifetime?
- Coming Home For Christmas It’s a stereotypical Danica movie, just this time it’s not as successful. Also for two people falling all over here, there is really not that much chemistry hapenning in the casting. Category: Predictable and Nice Official Description:Official description: Lizzie Richfield is at a crossroads when she lands a job as house manager for the exclusive Ashford Estate in the Virginia countryside. While preparing the place for sale, Lizzie plans one final Christmas Eve gala for the Marley family, though they seem to be a family in name only. There’s Kip Marley, who never met a party he didn’t like; Robert, the handsome but all-business executor of the estate; Sloane, who arrives with her two young children, sans husband, and the 80-year-old matriarch, Pippa, a spitfire who doesn’t want to put the house up for sale at all. As Lizzie is inserted into the home and the lives of the Marley family she finds herself drawn to Robert – even as Kip pursues her. Can she navigate her suddenly complicated love life while helping mend family feuds and maybe teaching all the true spirit of Christmas?
- Christmas In Angel Falls Supernatural but cute. Category: predictable but nice; Score: 22
Official Description:Angel Gabriel (Rachel Boston) – Gabby – gets a special assignment and is dispatched to the town of Angel Falls. The town has lost its Christmas spirit and Gabby is charged with the task of helping the residents recapture it. Along the way, she befriends Jack Avery (Paul Greene), the Volunteer Fire Chief, who’s initially skeptical about her plan to revive the local Yuletide cheer. Determined, Gabby takes a job at the local church as the volunteer coordinator and sets about her business of recruiting residents to get the town’s holiday back on track. In the process of bringing back beloved Angel Falls Christmas traditions, Gabby has a surprising revelation about herself and her own dreams that set her down an unexpected path
- Love you Like Christmas Let me start by saying I liked it before I go in a diatribe. How many movies can you make about car trouble next to small town USA? It’s starting to become really boring. Category: Predictable and Nice Official Description: Maddie, a high-powered marketing executive, is on her way to a client’s wedding but her plans are derailed by car trouble. When a fork in the road leads her to Christmas Valley, a town in love with Christmas, an unexpected encounter and a group of strangers that start to feel like family will have her questioning what she’s really been missing in life
- A Gift To remember It’s a sweet movie. A little bit of When you were sleeping meets You’ve got mail (two of my favorite movies, nothing wrong there!) with a sprinkle of hallmark branded television. Category: Predictable and Nice Score: 11
Official Description:Darcy’s lifelong love of reading has led her to the perfect job, working in a small Manhattan bookstore. One day, while bicycling to work, Darcy crashes into Aidan – a sharply dressed gentleman walking his dog. Knocked unconscious, he’s rushed to the hospital where he falls into a coma. Deeply shaken, Darcy takes the dog home, waiting to reunite him with his owner, Aidan. As she learns more about Aidan, Darcy realizes he could be the one she has been waiting for. But when the truth is revealed, Darcy learns the picture she created is completely wrong, and that sometimes the truth is even better than fiction.
- The Christmas Cure See spoiler alert below. All I have to say. Category: Predictable and naughty
Official description: An emergency room doctor returns home for Christmas after many years to find that her father has decided to retire. After reuniting with her high school sweetheart and spending an emotional Christmas with her family, she must decide if she will stay in her hometown and takeover her father’s practice
- A christmas to Remember Yes someone had a car crash. Yes someone got amnesia. And yes the person who finds her is 1. hot and 2. a widow. Although a fun watch it’s just too predictable to highly recommend it. Spoiler alert: And what is it with all these super succesful business women leaving their success for small town living. I get it but for once can the guy move to her town to help her with her success?Category: Predictable and NaughtyOfficial Description: A harsh TV personality needs a break from her own life, so she hops into a car and drives to a small town mountain retreat. On her way there, a blizzard veers her off the road and she crashes. When she comes to, she has complete amnesia and a friendly passerby takes her in.
- A Rose For Christmas Points for originality on it being based in the Rose Parade and not a little town in the middle of nowhere USA in the winter. But it’s not one im going to be repeating. Category: Predictable and Naughty
Official Description:Andy is a passionate artist whose family has been building Rose Parade floats for generations. When her Dad gets sick, Andy is forced to take the helm and supervise the construction and decoration of their client’s float. And to make matters worse, she’s saddled with the extra challenge of dealing with a demanding businessman whose company commissioned the float.
- Christmas In The Air It’s a good movie, it’s just not great. A little too cliché – there’s a widow who can’t figure things out by himself and needs help and of course he falls in love with said help. Category: Predictable and Naughty Score: 20
Official Description:Lydia, a successful professional organizer, is constantly trying to grow her business, but even her ambition takes a back seat to love when she meets Robert, a frazzled widower with two young children. A toy inventor, Robert is asked to present his new Christmas toy line to a superstore. His challenge is he only has 12 days to get his life and his business in order. Talk about a Christmas rush! Lydia shows Robert that this task goes way deeper than messy junk drawers and encompasses every aspect of his life. While she’s intent on helping him straighten out details he had long ignored, Robert teaches the buttoned-up Lydia that messiness can be a delightful part of life
- A joyous Christmas A fun watch, but I was not that really into it. I think the main character of Rachel just did not really hit a nerve with me. Category: Predictable but Naughty Score: 18
Official Description: A successful motivational speaker learns the true meaning of Christmas when she is rescued from a near fatal accident by a stranger. This close encounter leads her to discover that helping others is not only the key to true success, but just might lead her to finding true love
- My Christmas Love I was irritated by the main character. And although i loved the concept of someone gifting me the twelve days of Christmas presents, that wasnt enough to get over her. Category: Predictable and Naughty; Score: 16Official Description:A hopeless romantic who can’t ever seem to give a guy a real chance begins receiving each of the “12 Days of Christmas” as gifts anonymously at her door. As she tries to figure out who is sending the gifts, she begins to believe that the mystery suitor could finally live up to her expectations
- Hearts Of Christmas I watched this last year. I really don’t recall anything about it or liking it /not liking it. I was so neutral about it that it falls here for genericness. Category: Predictable and NaughtyOfficial Description:When a beloved neonatal intensive care unit supervisor is forced to take early retirement, her young colleague, Jenny, decides to turn the upcoming staff Christmas party into a surprise celebration for her. But the plan is complicated by the hospital’s new CFO who’s been tasked to cut costs.
- Sleigh Bells Ring a nice and cute movie. But not more than that. Also a little to small town is much better than big town and corporate jobs suck feeling for my corporate job self to handle. Category: Predictable and Naughty; Score: 20
Official Description:Recently divorced, Pauline struggles to get into the holiday spirit while heading up her hometown Christmas parade. With the help of a Christmas sleigh and a handsome woodworker, Pauline is destined to turn her luck around, rekindle her holiday spirit and even find time for love.
- With Love, Christmas It’s not bad, it was just a little bit too much cheese and not enough likeability in the male lead (the female lead is great! im a big fan of Chesapeake Shore so how can I not like it as she is the best part in it) Category: Predictable and Naughty ScorE: 20
Official Description: Ad executive Melanie is teamed up with uptight coworker Donovan to come up with the ultimate Christmas commercial for a new cell phone. To complicate matters, Donovan is also Melanie’s Secret Santa recipient in the annual office gift exchange. Keeping her identity secret, Melanie sends him emails from “Santa” to determine the perfect gift for him. When Donovan mistakenly assumes another co-worker is his Secret Santa, Melanie must work to show Donovan that she’s the only Santa for him
- Christmas Festival Of Ice I really disliked the characters and the premise – and for me not to like a Hallmark movie is a tall order so if I didn’t enjoy it i would say don’t waste your time. Category: Do not waste your time Score: 15Official Description: Those years of law school pay off for Emma but not in ways one would expect. When she finds out that her beloved ice-sculpting contest, part of her hometown’s Christmas festival, has been canceled, she springs into action. Determined to keep it going, she enlists sponsors and artists. Nick, the town’s ace artisan, isn’t interested in competing this year, but Emma wants him as her teammate. Considering what she’s managed to accomplish, Nick is impressed and signs on. They just might have a shot at winning this very special Christmas contest — and a lot more.
- Finding Santa it was just not good. Period. Not even my love of full house makes this worthy. Category: Do not waste your time Score: 14
Official Description: Grace, a single woman who lives and breathes Christmas 365 days a year, has been in charge of her small New England town’s famous Christmas parade since she moved back home and took over for her late parent’s Christmas store. When the long-standing Santa in the parade, Tom, falls and hurts himself, Grace is on a mission to find the perfect replacement in time for the televised broadcast. The only option is Tom’s son Ben, who hates Christmas. As Grace and Ben come together in their festive hometown, she inspires him to find his Christmas spirit-while he inspires her to follow her dreams.
- Sharing Christmas Not even my christmas loving self could get past this movie. Here my finance and MBA degrees just had a fit that my Christmas loving heart could not reconcile. One thing is to have the typical movie about struggling businesses because of the big bad corporation. But to justify that just because you like your store it needs to e subsidized, you dont need to change anything and its impossible to move anywhere else is stupid. I could not deal. Category: Do not waste your timeOfficial Description: Real estate developer is given the opportunity of his career to transform an old shopping complex into a prime location. Unfortunately, there is one tenant who is holding out—the Christmas shop owner he met by happenstance just days ago.