I’ve come across quite a few book list as of recent, so I’m sharing them all together in a books list extravaganza. We have the 50 books that changed the world, 101 Books You Cant live without, and 101 Best Books of All Time.
50 Books that Changed the World
I came about a list in Paulo Coelho’s blog of the books that changed the world. It is referencing Andrew Taylor’s Book: Books that Changed the World: The 50 most influential books that in Human history.
What does he think they are:
- The Republic by Plato.
- The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels.
- The Rights of Man by Thomas Paine.
- Common Sense by Thomas Paine.
- Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville.
- The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli.
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriett Beecher Stowe.
- On Liberty by John Stewart Mill.
- Das Kapital by Karl Marx.
- The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.
- Guerilla Warfare by Che Guevara.
- The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer.
- Lady Chatterley’s Lover by DH Lawrence.
- Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri.
- The Complete Works of William Shakespeare.
- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville.
- 1984 by George Orwell.
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
- Iliad and Odyssey by Homer.
- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes.
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.
- Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.
- The Arabian Nights Entertainment by Andrew Lang.
- War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupry.
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
- Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank.
- Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi.
- The Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft.
- The Second xxx by Simone de Beauvoir.
- A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf.
- Walden by Henry David Thoreau.
- A Dictionary of the English Language by Samuel Johnson.
- Philosophae Naturalis Principia Mathematica by Isaac Newton.
- The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud.
- On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin.
- Silent Spring by Rachel Carson.
- Geographia by Ptolemy.
- The Meaning of Relativity by Albert Einstein.
- The Bible.
- The Qur’an.
- The Torah.
- The Tibetan Book of the Dead.
- The Analects of Confucius.
- The Summa Theologica of St. Thomas Aquinas.
- The Bhagavad Gita.
- I Ching.
- Tao Te Ching.
- Bartleby by Hermann Melville.
What do you think is missing??
I think its hard to say which books have you read of this. Most of these generated ideas that you know about, yet, when I come to think of it, I have never read it cover to cover. I think I’ve only read 9 and a half in full (why the half – because i don’t think I’ve read the complete works of William Shakespeare, but definitely more than half 🙂 ). I could bring it up to 11 if I count the dictionary!!
101 books Daily Candy can’t live without.
Another of these lists was done by Daily Candy. They listed the 101 books they couldn’t live without.
First of all my tally: Of the 101 I have actually read only 21.
Of these which ones actually I cant live without: Summer Sisters, Pride & Prejudice, Water for Elephants, 100 Years of Solitude, Little Women, Prep, The Help, Kite Runner
Books that I want to read from the list: History of Love, The Omnivore´s Dilemma, The Great Gatsby, The Sun Also Rises, The Art of Racing in the Rain
101 Best Books of All Time – 1923 to today
Time also came with a 101 Best books of all time. this is a list made by Critics Lev Grossman and Richard Lacayo of the 100 best English-language novels published since 1923—the beginning of TIME magazine.
which ones have i read?? I’m even worse at this one having read only 6 – definitely lots to catch up on here.
Which ones would be my next go to ones? Brideshead Revisited, Mrs. Dalloway, On the road
All these list got me thinking – what are books that I cant live without or that changed my world that are not on any of these list?
Well apart from my favorite inspirational reads which most of them aren’t and Chick flicks that I have posted on before which are at the top of my lists, Another great book that I loved and changed me that is not on any of these list is Wild Swans.
What are yours?