As I did last year, I’m including some of the best lists that are around on the best places to travel in 2016. Here are the highlights
NY times, like it did in 2015, has released its 2016 version of the 52 places to go in 2016. Here is what made the list:
- Mexico City, Mexico A metropolis that has it all.
- Bordeaux, France An ancient wine region gets a stunning update.
- Malta The Mediterranean on a dime.
- Coral Bay, St. John Visit the U.S. Virgin Islands’ quiet corner before big development.
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota A century of protecting America’s magnificence
- Mozambique New island lodges and beach breaks — and more tolerance.
- Toronto, Canada Canada’s largest city is ready for its close-up.
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates New museums and hotels and a greening deser
- Skane, Sweden Nordic cuisine’s next big thing.
- Viñales, Cuba Looking for the real Cuba? You’ve found it.
- Guadeloupe Easier access to wild beauty and a new look at a complicated legacy.
- Park City, Utah Always fun, now bigger — a lot bigger.
- Aarhus, Denmark Thriving Danish culture beyond well-trodden Copenhagen.
- Cesme, Turkey An Aegean region grows a food scene.
- Road of the Seven Lakes, Argentina A newly paved road to beautiful vistas.
- Hangzhou, China State-of-the-art museums and more in an ancient city.
- Korcula Island, Croatia Experience authentic life on the Dalmatian Coasy=t
- San Sebastián, Spain A culinary capital expands its repertoire.
- Virunga National Park, Democratic Republic of Congo Newly accessible, gorillas and a volcano in idyllic surroundings.
- Grand Rapids, Michigan A furniture-making city champions urban renewal and art.
- Garzón,Uruguay A new wine region blooms near celebrated beaches.
- Dublin, Ireland A city spruces up to celebrate a centenary.
- Todos Santos, Mexico A Pacific Coast retreat hosts a new green community.
- Tamil Nadu, India New gateways to India’s cultural core.
- Vaud, Switzerland The Lake Geneva region attracts new and renewed museums.
- Washington, D.C. Developments raise the bar downtown.
- Brno, Czech Republic Unexpected cuisine and nightlife in an architectural mecca.
- Saint Helena An isolated wonderland opens to air travel.
- Barcelona, Spain Celebrating a beloved architect all year.
- Dalat, Vietnam A cool alternative to the usual steamy Vietnamese destination.
- Turin, Italy Renewal in a former industrial capital.
- Isla Holbox, Mexico In Yucatán, an ecotourism gem emerges.
- Providence, Rhode Island The East Coast’s answer to Portland, Ore.?
- Mosel wine country, Germany Biodiversity, new hiking trails and a castle stay.
- Pyeongchang, South Korea Ski South Korea before the Olympians get there.
- Tyrol, Austria Bond, Swarovski crystal, new ski lifts and hotels
- Colmar, France A revival fueled by modern art and architecture.
- Kansai, Japan An ancient region with new resorts and G7 ahead.
- East Bay, California Urban wineries and a soon-to-be-transformed waterfront.
- Île de Ré, France Who needs the French Riviera?
- East Coast, Sri Lanka Remote stillness — and world-class diving — beckon.
- Rosine, Kentucky Make a pilgrimage to the birthplace of bluegrass
- Málaga, Spain Beauty, but now a cultural capital, too.
- Guizhou, China Authentic Chinese hill tribes without mass tourism — yet.
- Phnom Penh, Cambodia A design renaissance in Cambodia’s capital
- St. Louis, Missouri A blues tribute near a more accessible arch.
- Thessaloniki Greece Greece’s second-largest city is first in food.
- Marfa, Texas An offbeat cultural hub with a new hotel to shelter the curious.
- Ubud, Indonesia A spiritual destination reinvents itself.
- The Southern Gulf Islands, British Columbia Near Vancouver, islands with simpler charms.
- Sydney, Australia Embracing nature in two urban reclamation projects.
- Beaufort, South Carolina A peaceful Low Country town with a stylish new inn.
I’ve only been to 6 — really, my bucket list just keeps growing and growing.
TRAVEL AND LEISURE
T+L has their 50 Best Places to Travel in 2016
- Bocas del Toro, Panama
- Guadalajara, Mexico
- Richmond, Virginia
- Lille, France
- Lanai, Hawaii
- Hangzhou, China
- Douro Valley, Portugal
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Asbury Park, New Jersey
- St. Helena
- Canggu, Bali
- Kochi, India
- Margaret River, Australia
- Aarhus, Denmark
- San Antonio, Texas
- Taipei, Taiwan
- Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Havana, Cuba
- Denver, Colorado
- Andaman Islands, India
- Ghent, Belgium
- Galápagos Islands, Ecuador
- Detroit, Michigan
- Galle, Sri Lanka
- Zagreb, Croatia
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Costa Rica
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Sicily, Italy
- Placencia, Belize
- Canouan, Grenadines
- Bozeman, Montana
- Chiloe, Chile
- Casablanca, Morocco
- Okanagan Valley, British Columbia
- Adelaide, Australia
- Iberá Wetlands, Argentina
- Liège, Belgium
- Seattle, Washington
- Mie Prefecture, Japan
This one I’m really doing badly on, so much more travel to do. Of the 50 I’ve only been to 3.
Conde Nast published the The Top 16 Places to Go in 2016. They were:
- Sri Lanka
- Mergui Archipelago, Myanmar
- Ecuador and the Amazon
- America’s National Parks
- Pedraza, Spain
- Medellín, Colombia
- Okinawa Prefecture, Japan
- Guadeloupe & Martinique
I’m doing so much better on this list, I’ve been to 6!
In Forbes, Black Tomato (which is my favorite travel website) highlighted some of the places to go in 2016
- The Philippines
- Sri Lanka
Jetsetter also has 16 places to go in 2016, which are:
- Rotterdam, the Netherlands
- Durham, NC
- America’s National Parks
- Rome, Italy
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Rio, Brazil
- New Zealand
- Quito, Ecuador
- Tel Aviv
- Manchester, UK
- Mumbai, India
This list was definitely more mainstream which means my % of visiting was much higher. Of the 15 I’ve been to 7
National Geographic has 20 go-now destinations for 2016
- Côte d’Or, Burgundy, France
- Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil
- Danube River
- Eastern Bhutan
- Capability Brown’s Gardens, Britain
- Glasgow, Scotland
- Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park
- Hokkaido, Japan
- New York City
- Okavango Delta, Botswana
- Masurian Lake District, Poland
- Tangier and Smith Islands, Chesapeake Bay
- San Diego/Tijuana
- Winnipeg, Canada
- South Georgia Island
Frommers has it’s Best Places to Go List for 2016. This one I’ve only been to 1!
- Mendocino County, California
- Cape Floral Region, South Africa
- Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail, South Island, New Zealand
- Bequia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- Charlottesville, Virginia
- Shanghai, China
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Zamora, Spain
- Hokkaido, Japan