We started with Hallmark, as its has the most amount of movies, but we will continue on with the other networks. As with Hallmark, within network some ranking, and of the ones that have less, my honest thought on all of them.
We start with Disney+ because even though they only had one movie it has been my favorite of the holiday season. Worthy of my subscription (really was I ever not going to suscribe to a Disney streaming service??)
When Noelle Kringle was a little girl, her father, Kris Kringle, would return to the North Pole every Christmas night to happily celebrate with the family. He reminds Noelle’s older brother Nick that he must begin his Santa training to take over for him one day
This has been my favorite movie this Christmas. Great production values, I love Anna Kendrick and Disney magic was sprinkled in this. Female empowerement and Christmas magic? I had some tears in my eyes. Its also funny, and for that bonus points!
Netflix Although I think not as good as previous years, Netflix has a solid core of Original Movies. Here’s were I stand on the ones I’ve watched.
- Klaus A selfish postman and a reclusive toymaker form an unlikely friendship, delivering joy to a cold, dark town that desperately needs it. This definitely falls under the Watch for all category. Beautiful story, with so much heart. It’s sweet, I cried and its pretty much everything you want in a family Christmas movie. The ending: so good!
- Holiday in the wild: When her husband abruptly ends their marriage, empty nester Kate embarks on a solo second honeymoon in Africa, finding purpose — and potential romance. This was such an original holiday movie, as the setting was completely different. Having loved my time in an Elephant camp in Botswana when I went on Safari this movie brought back excellent memories. A great one for the whole family to watch as you have the romance, the heart, the spirit but also the cool animals!
- The knight before Christmas Medieval magic sends a 14th-century knight to modern-day Ohio, where he falls for a high school science teacher who’s disillusioned by love. I have to say I had no expectations about this movie – I thought it was going to be absolutely terrible. Guess what? its not so bad. It was actually fun and watchable and Vanessa Hudges might go up there with Lacey Chabert and Christmas Movie Queens.
- let it snow A snowstorm hits a small town on a cold Christmas Eve, affecting the friendships, love lives and futures of several high school seniors. This is a cute little movie. More high School movie in the vein of booksmart, a one night extravaganza, but with a lot of heart. Less Christmas than High school but still a solid feel good movie
- A Cinderella Story: Christmas Wish An aspiring singer is stalled on her path to success by her stepmother and two wicked stepsisters. When she starts working at a job to help her dreams come true, she starts to fall for the handsome new Santa. I mean people who watch Cinderella Story are a special breed. But for those that do this is a solid take on the very long franchise. I actually enjoyed it more than some of the more flashy new fare. It is what it is, but it is very cute.
- A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby Christmas brings the ultimate gift to Aldovia: a royal baby. But first, Queen Amber must save her family and kingdom by unwrapping a monarchy mystery. The first Christmas Prince was great, the second was average, this one was absolutely unwatchable!
- Holiday Rush A widowed radio DJ and his four spoiled kids need to tighten their belts and pull together when their life of luxury turns lean just before Christmas.This was utterly terrible. I am all about the bad Christmas movie, but this falls under the Do not waste your time category. There are so much better, bad kids turn good movies our there do not waste time on this one
I’ve done a separate category on the new incarnation Of Netflix Christmas, the Christmas Series. They are not really a movie so its weird to compare them to movies, but they still lhave a holiday feel so here they are:
- Nailed it Holiday – when in doubt Christmas cooking shows will always win
- Sugar Rush Holiday
- Home for ChristmasAlthough a solid promise, it had one thing not going for it is that its not in English or spanish, and i usually watch Christmas shows doing other things, so having to concentrate in subtitles was hard.
- Three Days of Christmas – I love Spanish shows, and this although not your traditional christmas fare, its a good story
- Merry Happy Whateverthinking this is about Christmas is kind of pushing it. Its also a bad show, so really there are plenty of other things to watch!